Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Journey Inside



So, I decided to start this blog for one reason:
I want my life to be a light to others

My intention is to be fully transparent here. To take you (whoever you are) on my journey with me. To reveal the areas of my life that God is teaching me new things. To provide a place where you don't feel alone - and for you to know it's a good thing to be a life long learner; especially as a follower of Jesus.

My vision for this blog came from my personal reflection over this past Easter Resurrection season
      --> reflecting on where I have been; and where God's grace gift of Jesus has brought me today.

God has been teaching me and reshaping my life in drastic ways this past year (or two) and I am completely humbled.

I want nothing more than my life to be a proclamation that JESUS IS KING.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The title of my blog "Living With a Torn Veil" comes from the verse Mark 15:38


"And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom."


This is one of my favorite verses in the whole bible. I think it portrays the whole Gospel in one simple sentence. You see, there is so much to this one verse that is so simple to pass over, and miss it all. But this is a HUGE act of God's demonstration of love to us.

God; Creator of the universe, Perfect, Holy, and Just; created mankind in His own image - with freewill (and with that comes the ability to sin).
When man (Adam&Eve) first chose to sin in the Garden of Eden, God was separated from His creation. You see, a Perfect and Just Being can not be in relationship with sinful and rebellious beings. All of man kind has the choice to not sin; but we all do.

Because God still loved His creation, God remained present in the world, but separated from man. Man continued to choose sin over God.

In the Old Testament, God's provision for reconciliation was one of sacrifice, a blood sacrifice because the wages of sin is death. There was also this thing known as the "Holy of Holies" - this refers to the inner sanctuary of the Tabernacle (place of worship) which is separated by a VEIL; where God was said to dwell; and could only be entered by the High Priest on one day of the year - The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur).

Did you catch it?!  There was only one day out of the year, where one man could enter into the presence of God, behind the veil and seek reconciliation and forgiveness of sins for all people. 
THIS HAS ALL CHANGED NOW.

God sent His Son (title, not birth decree) Jesus to the earth to bring His people back to Himself. Jesus - fully man and fully God, came down and lived a perfect and sinless life; ushering in the Kingdom of God. Jesus was falsely accused of heresy and blasphemy and sentenced to death by the Jewish leaders (His own people)! But this wasn't by accident; this was all prophesied before any of it happened. And when Jesus breathed His last breath; the veil of the temple was torn! And Jesus rose again 3 days later.

THIS IS GOOD NEWS!

God now dwells among His people through The Holy Spirit. Jesus was the eternal sacrifice for our sins. Every day, every person can enter into the presence of God. God made a way for all of His children to be reconciled to Him at any point, that we no longer must live under the law but we are SET FREE!

This is why this verse speaks volumes to me. This verse is what changed my life forever. This verse is what allowed me to begin a personal and intimate relationship with the Triune God of The Bible. What an EXTRAORDINARY act of God's love for each of His children.
I seek to live in the presence of God the Father, to be ever guided by the Holy Spirit, and to praise the One, Jesus, who paid my debt.

My prayer is that this blog would help you to do the same; not because I am doing it perfectly right, or have it all together - I DON'T - but because I am sharing my pitfalls and victories with you, and you would learn from what God's is teaching me. 



2 comments:

  1. wow. so much power and meaning in less than 15 words. i've probably read over that verse multiple times in the gospel and never stopped.
    love all this insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! It is my favorite verse! So much power! I first heard Yancey teach on it a long time ago, and have loved it ever since!!
      No need for glitz and glamour, when the bible holds so much beauty and thoughtfulness!

      Delete